Wanted on voyage
We’re looking for enthusiastic volunteers to help us deliver experiences that will delight our visitors, young and old, and develop our ideas and audiences for the future. You’ll meet fascinating people, be part of some unique events and play an important role in helping The Story Museum come true – as well as gain some different skills and experience.
Download Young Volunteer Application Form
Download Volunteer Application Form
We’re also looking for some specific volunteer help in the following areas:
Finance Volunteer, Sept 2018
The Story Museum’s finance team are looking for someone to help with some basic admin tasks. The ideal person will have some finance background, plus knowledge of Sage Professional or other accounts software, we will not be able to train from scratch but will train to use our software. We would like this person to volunteer once a week for a few hours (we can be flexible with when, but it does need to be in working hours) to support us with the following:
- Entering BACS payments on Sage and matching to purchase invoices.
- Entering petty cash and store card transactions.
- Entering cross-charging transactions for room hire catering, board expenses etc.
- Entering straightforward purchase invoices on Sage.
- Chasing existing purchase orders to ensure suppliers have submitted invoices.
- Keeping purchase order forms up to date.
- Filing daily takings sheets, purchase invoices etc.
Download and complete the Volunteer Application form above, checking the box ‘Office’, and provide two referees. Please then email this to Jessica Corfield, Volunteer Coordinator
Community Engagement Volunteers
Do you have a love of stories that you’d like to share with the world. We are looking for volunteers who can work flexibly in various jobs with a Community Engagement focus. These roles will change week on week, and include the following
- Supporting the Museum’s peripatetic work in the Pumpkin Tent, which will appear in various community settings and schools.
- Helping the Museum’s on-site events, like our theatre residency in October, The Day I fell Into a Book, and our Christmas Show, Wish.
- Looking after our FREE drop in activity The Changing Room, including getting dressed up and encouraging people to use our magical Talking Throne. On Saturdays in term-time and open during school holidays.
- Optional: Becoming a Volunteer Reader, and going to communities to read aloud to children of various ages.
- Optional: helping in the Story Café
- Optional: helping with our Early Years events on weekday mornings
- And more!
No experience required except enthusiasm, a friendly attitude and the willingness to get involved in The Story Museum’s mission to share stories with all.
Please download and complete the Volunteer Application form above and send it to Jessica Corfield, Volunteer Coordinator
‘I can really recommend volunteering at The Story Museum. Great place, and lovely people.’ – volunteer